Thursday, February 12, 2009

Learning the "Sweet Truth" at Kelly Keough's Sugar-free & Gluten-free Cooking Class

Did you spot the Zsweet® van last night at Whole Foods in Tustin, CA?

I was there to attend "The Sweet Truth" TV show host & cookbook author, Kelly Keough's sugar-free, gluten-free chocolate cooking class. It was an intimate, hands-on experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Zsweet® is one of Kelly's staple ingredients. When I first scanned her table of ingredients, I must say, other than the Zsweet® I was unfamiliar with most of the items and a little intimidated. Green hemp butter, cacoa powder, goji berries... I've seen these foods before, but never knew what to do with them or how they would taste together. Let me tell you, they taste AMAZING together, and her recipes were complete in only 5 minutes!

Kelly has perfected sugar-free, gluten-free cooking. Even though I watched her make her recipes with my own two eyes, once I tasted them I couldn't believe there was absolutely no sugar inside. They were that sweet and delicious.

Once Kelly got started she explained the nutritional value of all the ingredients and let us taste each one. We sampled the hemp butter with agave nectar on top which she recommended as a great peanut butter and jelly taste alternative, and she was right, it tasted just like that. She explained that agave and stevia are great compliments to Zsweet® and that it's necessary to use a blend of alternatives to achieve the most sugar-like taste without the sugar.

As she was preparing the recipes she was friendly and inviting. We all took turns participating, there was lots of Q&A and at the end we all had yummy samples to take home.

Kelly Keough has used her innovation to come up with creative, simple recipes to satisfy sugar cravings without eating sugar. She really makes eating healthy taste scrumptious and appear attainable for everyone. If you're working on breaking your sugar addiction and you need help getting over the hump, or if you're interested in guilt-free desserts, DEFINITELY buy Kelly's cookbook "The Sweet Truth" for all her unbelievably sugar-free recipes.


Southern California residents, check your Whole Foods event calendars for her next class. DISH Network subscribers, watch Kelly Keough's show "The Sweet Truth" on Veria TV.

3 comments:

  1. something does NOT seem right about the book you have listed above "The Sweet Truth" by Kelly E. Keough,2007. It is listed on amazon as available by 2 sellers for the beyond-ridiculous price of $757.29. I am unable to locate this "book" elsewhere and, even in Kelly's own biography, it is not mentioned. Please verify if this is a real book by the claimed author. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! "The Sweet Truth" is indeed a real book by Kelly Keough. I have a personal copy. It used to be available electronically & in paperback, however I do see it is listed for an outrageous amount on Amazon. I am not sure why. I have put in an inquiry with Kelly & will reply again when I have her response.

    In the meantime, she has a new cookbook, "Sugar-free Gluten-free Baking And Desserts" for $10.17 that may interest you. I have tasted her desserts & they are delicious!

    Here is a direct link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-free-Gluten-free-Baking-Desserts-Delicious/dp/1569757046/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265657121&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just received an email from Kelly which I will post below.

    "Hi Briana,

    The Sweet Truth was the edition of my cookbook that I self published. You can no longer buy it on Amazon.

    Other people have copies and are auctioning it off so to speak.

    The new edition, "Sugar-free Gluten-free Baking and Desserts" published by Ulysses Press has all of the dessert recipes from The Sweet Truth plus 35 new recipes and all of the savory recipes that were left out of the book published by Ulysses are being published in a new cookbook this fall.

    Best,
    Kelly"

    ReplyDelete